SISSA Wireless network
Security - You are not allowed to:
- install your own wireless access point and connect it to the SISSA wired network;
- set your laptop wireless NIC in ad-hoc mode, thus behaving like a wireless access point, when connected to the SISSA wired network!
Networks and profiles
Separate wireless (SSID) networks have been created for different user profiles, in order to handle varying access privileges:
- SISSA-Guest (SISSA short term-visitors - web unencrypted authentication for web access outside SISSA only). Using this profile you are NOT ALLOWED to access any SISSA internal network resources (PRINTING, connection to SISSA workstations…)
- SISSA-WiFi (SISSA students, faculty and long-term visitors, full access to SISSA internal network resources)
- eduroam (users belonging to a federated eduroam institution - see below)
Users wishing to make use of the wireless connection must:
- 1) have a PC with an 802.11 b/g wireless card which supports WPA2/Enterprise;
- 2) have a valid username and password on the SISSA main cluster, please see the page Getting and Using an Account if you do not have one;
- 3) have changed your SISSA password during the last six months, please read change password page for more information;
- 4) if you are using Windows XP you need a third-party client software to connect to WPA2 networks (see below)
Configuration parameters for connection to SISSA-WiFi are:
- authentication: 802.1x/PEAP/MSCHAPv2 (without user certificate), or 802.1X/EAP-TTLS/PAP (deprecated)
- encryption and key management: WPA2 (AES)
- Windows 7 (Vista too)
Access problems: trouble-shooting
If you encounter any problems while accessing the service, you should make sure that:
- your wireless card driver is correctly installed and updated to the latest version available,
- the wireless card is activated,
- the network is identified with SSID SISSA-WiFi or SISSA-Guest.
Since SISSA is member of the Italian Eduroam Federation, guest users that belong to federated institution can connect to SISSA network using their own credential (username and password). Also SISSA users, when visiting other federated institutions, can connect to the hosting network using their own credentials.
Please note: eduroam guest users cannot access to SISSA printing services and to SISSA workstation, but they can access also SISSA wired network.
Main documentation: Eduroam
Trieste città universitaria
The Comune di Trieste in collaboration with Spin srl, Universita' di Trieste and our School has inaugurated “ Trieste città universitaria senza confini ” allowing all students (in our case all SISSA users) to browse free all around the city center.
15 access points installed in several pubs and bars are available, you can see all the details on GoogleMaps
To access the citywide connection you should select TS-Citta-Universitaria as SSID from the list of available networks and then use your SISSA username and your SISSA password.
Please note: you have to insert your SISSA username followed by sissa domain (example email@example.com) for the correct authentication.
The configuration of your computer is the same you use for WiFi connection in the SISSA buildings. You can find all the details on how to configure authentication, encryption and key management in the chapters following.
Take also a look at the official brochure (italian)