When your SISSA main cluster account will be closed soon
Warnings & How to get an account renewal
Before your account will be closed, you will receive some warnings.
Warnings before your account expiration date: three months, two months, one month, 14 days, 7 days, 3 days… then daily.
If you need to change your account expiration date, PLEASE DO NOT WAIT THE LAST MINUTE; read the page: How to get an account renewal.
FORWARD of your incoming mail
Forward ??? what is that???: Redirect/send your incoming SISSA e-mails to another e-mail address.
You can activate the e-mail forward when you prefer using SISSA Webmail service, but you have to do it before the expiration date of your account.
After your account expiration date, this redirection will be active for other 6 months, then the forward-redirection will be removed and the subsequent mails (sent to your e-mail email@example.com) will be rejected. .
- The staff can not enable/activate the forward for you.
- You can set the forward through the Webmail service at http://webmail.sissa.it/ using HORDE or ROUNDCUBE. More information available on pages:
Please, before leaving SISSA, warn all your contacts that your e-mail address@sissa will cease to exist.
Please note: Other e-mail filter rules (vacation, spam filters…) will not work after account closing.
About your web pages at SISSA
Your web pages will be visible for about 6 months after the expiration date of your account.
BUT we suggest that you set a REDIRECT to your new web site (if you have one) before the expiration date of your account (after you can not access/modify to your files).
How to copy YOUR FILES
After identifying the files and directory you need to copy, you can use one or more of these ways:
- copy them –using the scp or sftp commands– on your new working site (possibly not during the “ hot ” hours of the day, the best moments are late evening or very early morning);
- copy them on CD using the K3b program (not all our workstation have a cdwriter or dvdwriter device). ITCS (the computer staff) do not provide CD or DVD for your personal use, please ask to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- copy them on your laptop or on your pendrive, if you have it.
- make always at least 2 copies,
- check the content of the copied files,
- keep the copies in different places,
- ONLY if it is all ok, please remove your files in the local scratch areas before leaving SISSA.
How to copy your E-MAIL FOLDERS
If you need to save your e-mail folders (from our e-mail server), you have to copy them on your directories using THUNDERBIRD.
- If you use thunderbird for the first time please read and follow the instructions on the page: How to configure Thunderbird to use SISSA e-mail services (first part).
- If you have already used thunderbird, please read thunderbird page to check the settings.
- To copy a folder from imap server to local folders, you have to select and drag a folder in the same Thunderbird window acting on its left sidebar: (on the left sidebar All Folders) KEEPING PRESSED < Ctrl > button, select your folder (in the example its name is newinfo) and then drag it to the Local Folders icon/name.
About your local e-mail folders
Are you sure that they are saved in a useful area (not /scratch) on your laptop or in a subdirectory of your home directory?
Do you need to know where they are located to copy them on a CD/DVD later?
- Select Local Folders icon/name;
- then select View settings for this account;
- read/check the content of the Local directory: field
FAQ about copying your e-mails
File extension .msf
Some useful information about files with the extension .msf extracted from these pages:
How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?
Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text “ mbox ” format,
which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary
mail programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses
the “ mbox ” format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files
Your mail files are inside your profile (see the Profile Folder), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files — one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in “mbox” format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.
If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation's Mail folder.
How do I import e-mail messages from another mail program?
Go to Tools > Import, which will bring up a dialog to guide you through the process.